The other day my partner and I went to do our weekly groceries. Afterwards, my partner said: ”is it me or are people getting ruder every day?”
I quickly realized I kind of felt the same way. Plenty of reasons to be a little more kind on this grey Monday. Here are 22 small ways to do that.
- Send a nice email, just because. There is probably a friend or family member that you don’t talk to enough. Time to email or text them something nice!
- Donate to a good cause. They need it now more than ever. All little bits help!
- Smile at a stranger. My day is always a little better when a stranger genuinely smiles at me. Time to give it back.
- Send flowers. Buy a loved one flowers and have them delivered at their home or work. It will make their day!
- View things from someone else’s perspective. You can’t judge until you’re in someone else’s shoes.
- Be a better listener. Listen with the intend to understand, not with the intend to reply.
- Say please and thank you. Seems such a simple and small thing, but when I worked retail this made all the difference. Show your gratitude!
- Stop complaining. Even if it’s just for a few hours, not complaining will change your mood, and maybe even your life.
- Practice gratitude. I’ve said this before and I will say it again: being grateful is one of the easiest ways to increase your happiness. Write down at least three things every day that you’re grateful for.
- Hold the door for someone else. I love it when people do this! It’s so thoughtful to hold the door for someone else, so make sure to do it for at least one person today. And if someone does it for you, say thank you!
- Give a compliment to someone who is doing an amazing job.
- Buy the person behind you in line a coffee. I did this recently at the airport and it made me just as happy as the person I was buying the coffee for. Worth the $3.
- Volunteer in your community.
- Invite someone over for dinner. Know someone who could use some love? Asking them to come over for dinner will make their day (or their week!)
- Recycle your trash.
- Give a book away. I like leaving books in public transport and giving them to friends. Stories are meant to be shared.
- Write a letter. Getting an actual written letter is so exciting these days!
- Leave extra tip if your waiter/waitress did a good job.
- Babysit the child of your friend for free.
- Tell your partner you love them. They probably know, but that doesn’t make it any less special.
- Pick up a piece of trash. Mother Earth will love you for it.
- Pay it forward. Share this list with people you care about!
Do you want (free!) extra blog posts delivered right to your inbox? Sign up for my newsletter!